Sticky ASOT Radioshow Main Discussion Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More details

• 2015-10-22 ASOT Episode #736

Tracklist #736
      01. Armin van Buuren feat. Rock Maffia - Hands To Heaven
      02. Maor Levi - Mercury
      03. Ferry Tayle feat. Sarah Shields & Ludovic H - The Most Impotant Thing (LTN Remix)
      04. PROGRESSIVE PICK: Xanwow - Desire
      05. FUTURE FAVORITE: Armin van Buuren feat. Cimo Frankel - Strong Ones
      06. BT & Dragon & Jontron feat. Senadee - Lifeline
      07. TUNE OF THE WEEK: Armin van Buuren & Cosmic Gate - Embargo
      08. Genix - Kaktus
      09. FloE & Amo R - Eternal
      10. Above & Beyond feat. Gemma Hayes - Counting Down The Days (Axis Remix)
      11. Mark Sixma feat. Emma Hewitt - Restless Hearts
      12. Feel feat. Adara - Dissapear (DRYM Remix)
      13. Kyau & Albert - Lover In The Dark
      14. Matt Cerf & Feel feat. Jaren - Leave The Light On (Wrechiski Remix)
      15. Nitrous Oxide feat. Denise Rivera - The Day
      16. Ozo Effy - Athens
      17. Arnej - They Always Come Back (Sied van Riel Remix)
      18. Luke Terry - Hyperborea
      19. Andy Tau - Static (Allen Watts Remix)
      20. Philippe El Sisi feat. Sarah Russell - Into The Flame (RAM Remix)
      21. Ferry Tayle & Daniel Kandi - Flying Blue (Zack Mia Remix)
      22. Abstract Vision & Aimoon - #OnFire
      23. Chapter XJ - No Fear
      24. Darren Porter - Deep Blue
      25. Sneijder & Giuseppe Ottaviani - Nero
      26. Bryan Kearney - Wake Up Call (Will Rees Remix)
      27. Alex Di Stefano - I've Got The Power (Signum Signal Remix)
      28. John O'Callaghan feat. Sarah Howells - Find Yourself (Standerwick Remix)
      29. Bryan Kearney - Comfort Zone
      30. Stargazers feat. Kate Louise Smith - Black Diamond
      31. JFK - Angel (The Passion Theme 2015)
      32. John Askew - Shine (Sean Tyas Remix)
      33. ASOT Radio Classic: 4 Strings - Take Me Away (Into The Night) (Re-Ward Remix) [2008]

-- The Anthem 2003 | Opus 17 | L.E.D. There Be Light | 7 Instead Of 8 --
    • 2015-10-29 ASOT Episode #737 (Armin van Buuren EMBRACE Special)

This week music by:
      - Armin van Buuren

Tune in here: di.fm/trance/

Tracklist #737
      01. Armin van Buuren feat. Eric Vloeimans - Embrace
      02. Armin van Buuren feat. Angel Taylor - Make It Right
      03. Armin van Buuren feat. Sarah DeCourcy - Face Of Summer
      04. Armin van Buuren feat. Emma Hewitt - Forever Is Ours
      05. Armin van Buuren feat. Sophie - Virtual Friend
      06. Armin van Buuren - Old Skool
      07. Armin van Buuren feat. Jacqueline Govaert - Never Say Never
      08. Armin van Buuren feat. BullySongs - Caught In A Slipstream
      09. Armin van Buuren feat. BullySongs - Freefall
      10. Armin van Buuren feat. BT - These Silent Hearts
      11. Armin van Buuren feat. Kensington - Heading Up High
      12. Armin van Buuren feat. Cimo Frankel - Strong Ones (Deem Remix)
      13. FUTURE FAVORITE: Armin van Buuren & Cosmic Gate - Embargo
      14. Armin van Buuren feat. Winter Kills - Take A Moment
      15. Armin van Buuren feat. Lyrica Anderson - Gotta Be Love
      16. Armin van Buuren - Orbion
      17. Armin van Buuren feat. Gabriel & Dresden - Zocalo
      18. Armin van Buuren feat. Richard Bedford - Love Never Came
      19. Armin van Buuren feat. Rock Maffia - Hands To Heaven
      20. Armin van Buuren feat. DBX - Indestructible
      21. Armin van Buuren - Precious (Mike Saint-Jules Remix)
      22. Armin van Buuren feat. Mr. Probz - Another You (Ronski Speed Remix)
      23. Armin van Buuren feat. Eller van Buuren - Coming Home
      24. Armin van Buuren feat. Aruna - Won't Let You Go
      25. Armin van Buuren - Sail
      26. Armin van Buuren feat. Racoon - Love You More
      27. Armin van Buuren feat. Justine Suissa - Burned With Desire
      28. Armin van Buuren feat. Gavin DeGraw - Looking For Your Name

Post was edited 1 time, last by Razormane ().

• Alrighty, decided to listen to this Album Special after all, for old times' sake. Here we go. I'll put it in spoilers for Roth's sake :P

Show Spoiler
      RazorReview For ASOT 737 | Armin van Buuren - Embrace Special
      01. Armin van Buuren feat. Eric Vloeimans - Embrace > So far the only track on the Embrace album that to me sounds like it's by Armin and not some random DJ Mag Top 10 hot shot. The trumpet parts are so damn addicting, and I've grown accustomed to the rougher parts. It struck me the other day they are actually less distorted/aggressive than Full Focus' main lead. Since I used to like Full Focus a lot back then, I should be able to stand less fierce synths right? The only track on this album I've bought so far and I'm afraid that won't change. It doesn't beat the Mirage or Imagine title tracks but I do rank it way higher than Intense (and Shivers, yes bite me. Not everything from 2005 was amazing) and I prefer this track over Together, Another You, This Is What It Feels Like, Hystereo, Phanta Rei, Safe Inside You, EIFORYA, Carnation or virtually every Remix Armin did after The Killing. Compared to his past glory it pales in comparison (except for those trumpet parts) but amongst Armin's recent tracks it is definitely the most enjoyable tune I've heard from him in a while. I've replayed it non-stop over the course of October! So nothing but kudos for this one. 5/5

02. Armin van Buuren feat. Angel Taylor - Make It Right > The vocal on this sounds like a Rihanna-wannabe and I don't mean that in a flattering way, especially since to me Rihanna's singing in the last couple of years has tried to sound as repetitive, simplistic and annoying as possible. This is not for me. The production doesn't appeal to me either. 1/5

03. Armin van Buuren feat. Sarah DeCourcy - Face Of Summer > Alright, granted. The instrumental is a pretty mellow, summer-minded track that doesn't have those annoying festival EDM noises splashed all over it. I love me a fair share of Latin-guitar melodies so that's nice too. The vocal however, is redundant. So thanks but no thanks. Gimme a dub or otherwise never mind. 2/5

04. Armin van Buuren feat. Emma Hewitt - Forever Is Ours > Still not for me, sorry. 1/5

05. Armin van Buuren - Virtual Friend > Now we're talking. Good times with this track. THIS was a track I found fresh for Armin at the time. The lyrics hold value/truth, the vocal is sweet on the ears and the production was put well together. True, it had a stronger G&D feel to it than an Armin feel but it was deffo one of the stand-out tracks on Mirage. Neither Intense, nor Embrace have been able to bring forth a follow-up to this great track.

06. Armin van Buuren - Old Skool > It tries to tribute that old House/Techno era and when you hear the Tech Piano line with its quick note change in the final measure, backed by the Chicago(?) speech sample, you feel the tribute is headed in the right way. Sadly after that it tries to incorporate a typical modern Armin lead which I feel is out of place. Listening to it in full now, MAYBE I need to give it a few more chances. And perhaps someone can remix it to truly fulfil its potential (preferably WSTLNDR or Sander van Doorn). But I am not sure the original is gonna get beyond the decent score for me. 3/5

07. Armin van Buuren - Never Say Never > 7,5 years ago when Imagine surfaced, this was one of the highlights on the album for me. Stabbing Benno synths for the bloody win hehe :D It has lost some of its impact since then but on the other hand, thanks to these last few Armin albums, it actually regains some of its charm right now. B| 4/5

08. Armin van Buuren feat. BullySongs - Caught In The Slipstream > Yet another Cosmic Gate-ish driven track eh? Personally I don't mind Electro in this style. What I do mind is another over sentimental breakdown with a typical pop EDM vocal. Why do all these vocals sound so alike in style of increasing intensity or just blatant screaming, rhythm and overall structure? I really don't understand the appeal of this kind of vocal stuff, no offence. Once again, a vocal that's useless to me. Ah now the lead comes in... Sounds very Faithless We Come 1-ish now. This I don't mind at all, would probably get a club going. But why those Trouse synths in the later bit of the main part? ;( Aaaaaaaaaaaand the vocal is back. I haven't heard a single vocal on Embrace yet that I can appreciate so far. :P 2/5

09. Armin van Buuren feat. BullySongs - Freefall > Main lead sounds like an Omnia - The Fusion wannabe. You all recall how much The Fusion annoyed me? Yeah? And you see what I said about the vocals above? Yeah? So can you complete the equation that leads to my opinion on this track? xD All in all, another track that has no Armin-ness to it whatsoever imo. Next! 1/5

10. Armin van Buuren feat. BT - These Silent Hearts > Wasn't a fave 5 years ago, and still isn't now. Heaps better than the previous two tracks though. 3/5

11. Armin van Buuren feat. Kensington - Heading Up High > What's with these lyrics about falling and it being a "long way down"? xD Too many beatless parts where I envision people waving candles from left-to-right, meh. Let rock be rock and let pop dance be pop dance. Besides, you guys already showed the best possible combination of rock with dance music in the Mirage title track. Avicii Trouse lead doesn't do much for me. The vocal doesn't either though in a different style I wouldn't mind it. 1/5

12. Armin van Buuren feat. Cimo Frankel - Strong Ones (??? Remix) > Heard it on the RTL Late Night episode today, have to say hearing it a second time, I liked it less than the first time. Cimo seems like a cool dude though, had no idea he lived in Amsterdam too! This remix gives a lead with more edge but the whole beatless sentimental-vocal part still turns me off big time. And now a drop... And it goes all W&W/Hardwell horns on me. No thanks. 1/5

13. Armin van Buuren & Cosmic Gate - Embargo > Back in 2011 I might have digged this more. For me it sounds like an Orjan track, not so much AvB vs. CG (which is curious since Caught In The Slipstream & HTH have some CG vibes to them) but that's not really what matters here. It's by no means the worst track on the album but it doesn't really do anything to stand out either. I am not even considering the fact that we are talking about the pairing of two Dutch Legends with two German Legends in European Dance music. 2/5

14. Armin van Buuren feat. Winter Kills - Take A Moment > At first I hated this track, or well, hated is a strong word but I found it annoying. However, over the course of October 2010 I grew to enjoy it a lot. Might have to do with finally meeting with my friends again in a period that I could really use their company and this track came by. Still digging it today. 4/5

15. Armin van Buuren feat. Lyrica Anderson - Gotta Be Love > I truly despise the "EDM Vocal" type from the depth of my heart when I hear this track. The bassline is catchy, the main lead has that sort of Benno-funkiness to it but the vocal completely ruins any chances of enjoying this track. This one needs an instrumental the most me thinks. 1/5

16. Armin van Buuren - Orbion > Beats the living daylights out of everything Embrace/Intense featured tonight and I didn't even consider this his #1 on Mirage back then (though it was obviously one of the highlights on said album). 5/5

17. Armin van Buuren with Gabriel & Dresden - Zocalo > I kinda consider Zocalo for Armin what I consider Rank 1's Lyteo Remix for Piet & Benno: both tracks were pretty big and beloved among their respective fanbases in 2005 but I never quite loved both as much as other fans did. 4/5

18. Armin van Buuren feat. Richard Bedford - Love Never Came > Decent. Better than the previous "Love" track of course (though at this stage that's not so hard to achieve). 3/5

19. Armin van Buuren feat. Rock Maffia - Hands To Heaven > The vocals here are, compared to the rest of the album, acceptable though they don't really add that much either. The instrumental is pretty catchy. Hearing it the second time now, probably the best vocal track on the Embrace album imo. Might give this one a few chances too though it's not an overly convincing track so far. 3/5

20. Armin van Buuren feat. DBX - Indestructible > Oh dear lord no. 1/5

21. Armin van Buuren - Precious (Mike Saint-Jules Remix) > Why isn't this released already?? I've grown very fond of it thanks to Armin & Benno's Gaia performance in Sydney at the beginning of this year. We've seen poor remixes of Armin tracks get released over the years, Armada could do the right thing for a change and release one that's actually very cool. 5/5

22. Armin van Buuren feat. Mr. Probz - Another You (Ronski Speed Remix) > Production is actually not that bad but those vocals keep me "looking for another tuuuuune". No offence to Probz and his "studio demands" :rave: 2/5

23. Armin van Buuren feat. Eller van Buuren - Coming Home > First time I heard Armin & Benno make a generic Trance effort. Was disappointed back then and can't say I've come to like this over the years. But as always I will laugh due to the memory of Benno and Eller hilariously "mocking" Armin's Trance pose right behind his back during AO 2010 in Utrecht and the cherry on the cake was Armin's response to them when he turned around and noticed. It was a golden moment I still remember to this day. You crazy lads, you :lol: 1/5

24. Armin van Buuren feat. Aruna - Won't Let You Go > No, LET ME GO! I don't want to hear you! Next! 1/5

25. Armin van Buuren - Sail > Good ol' Sail! 5/5

26. Armin van Buuren feat. Racoon - Love You More > Used to like it at first but got to dislike it very fast afterward. For me Racoon is one of the most overrated pop acts from the Netherlands. Don't like 'em and least of all their lead singer with his condescending behaviour towards Armin/Trance back on the AO 2005 DVD. #DemGrudge 1/5

27. Armin van Buuren feat. Justine Suissa - Burned With Desire (Rising Star Remix) > Good ol' BWD! (Though technically speaking this version was not on 76 (not the one we have anyway) but 's okay :sun: 5/5

28. Armin van Buuren feat. Gavin DeGraw - Looking For Your Name > I don't like ballads so this one doesn't dodge the bullet for me either. Meh. 1/5

Final Verdict
      I am not at all surprised this album wasn't going to be for me. On the one hand, not ALL vocal tracks have an annoying Guetta-style lead like Another You does but even when they don't, the vocals will make sure I can't enjoy the productions underneath. I hardly see what's so different about this album in comparison to Intense, if anything it seems like a continuation of the latter's pop-Dance centric spirit, albeit with even LESS references to Armin's roots, or playful tracks like Reprise and Pulsar... In that sense I did expect to be buying more than one track from this album but bar the title track, nothing on here has convinced me after this episode. Other than that, is this album about embracing "boundary breaking" or about fans accepting that Armin is sounding less and less like Armin and more and more like Guetta/Avicci/Hardwell etc? On Mirage I could still hear some Armin and Benno, on this album that has become a difficult chore with the exception of a few non-EDM leads here and there. Some of these tracks could easily pass for another artist completely and that I find a pity considering how much I've loved Armin and Benno's own sounds throughout the years.

Now I saw the rewind of Armin's RTL Late Night appearance this afternoon. He is constantly emphasizing how much fun he has in the studio with the people he works with. Benno echoed the same sentiments when I got to meet and talk to him over 2,5 years ago. I very much believe that they are having fun and apparently making this kind of music is a challenge for them and they get a kick out of it. And yes Armin, your sound has changed and I suppose change is natural to the cycles of music, I can no longer deny that. What I will not agree with however, is that your sound has "evolved". If you mean to say evolution in the sense of "improvement" than I respectfully but completely disagree with you. If you mean evolution in the sense of "adopting to your surroundings" than yes, you have evolved successfully. Your sound has nearly become identical to that of your peers/competitors. If you're having fun in all that, that's cool. But I honestly think your sound has gone downhill A LOT after Mirage (which in itself already had some tracks I had never hoped to hear from you > Youtopia: YUCH). But I guess that's what happens when a leader becomes a follower. In the end this album is not for me and it exemplifies what I dislike/hate in Dance music. So I'm sorry bro, but for me, Embrace is a poor album.

It's okay though, no hard feelings :sun: Intense already proved to me what I needed to know two years ago. Something along the lines of there being just one to two AvB tracks I'll like per year, or something. But in regards to Embrace, I've been enjoying the title track a LOT so credit where credit is due. Just today as I walked home and this episode started playing on my phone, there was this SICK moon outside: as it caught a glimpse of the sun's rays causing it to emit this eerie yellow glow... To view something so beautifully awesome at night with an epic track like Embrace in your ears is a treat. So thanks for that Armin, Benno and Eric :smoke:

Post was edited 2 times, last by Razormane ().

• 01. Armin van Buuren feat. Eric Vloeimans - Embrace - To me this is a really, really messy effort by Armin, almost to the point I feel like this is a joke at the audience' expense. The trumpet sounds nice on its own, but so out of place in this track, and the transitions from the more relaxed parts to the rougher parts is ear raping. While its not the worst track Armin ever created (that honor belongs to Eyforia), its deffo one of his career lows. Heck, Intense title track sounds so much better than this, and I really disliked that tune. The lullaby part feels laughable as well. I don't know, everything about this part just doesn't feel right to me. 1.5/10.

02. Armin van Buuren feat. Angel Taylor - Make It Right - This rougher electro basslines don't sign positive things to come, though the arrangement is catchy. Cheesy piano breakdown that we've heard in a billion productions before doesn't help. The vocalist isn't terrible in my ears, but Armin's transition to more American-oriented vocalists has me worried, as I totally prefer the good old European ones, though most of them now try to sound like Americans too. The production is ok, but the melody isn't quite as addictive as it should be to save a track like this. Overall, not my thing, but I still enjoyed it more than Embrace. 3/10

03. Armin van Buuren feat. Sarah DeCourcy - Face Of Summer - Those progressive synths and guitar are ace. The intro sounds a bit Prydz-ish, until the vocals come in. The vocalist has a very weird voice, again very American oriented, but her voice isn't so nice regardless. The latin guitar is great again, but the vocalist prevents me from enjoying the otherwise cool production. Once the main part comes I'm in awe, really cool summer prog. Catchy, rich, colorful. Get rid of those terrible vocals and this gets a 9. Right now though, 7/10.

04. Armin van Buuren feat. Emma Hewitt - Forever Is Ours - I always said Emma sounds like in the middle of sex in this track. Its a bit cruel by Armin/Benno to ask her to record vocals during sex. Kudos for Emma for being so multi tasking. I don't find her vocals nearly as annoying as some of my friends do, at least she doesn't sing American style. This track has grown on me over time, its catchy. 7/10.

05. Armin van Buuren feat. Sophie - Virtual Friend - This was one of Mirage's sleeper hits. While I enjoyed the BT remix more than the original, I have to say this track was a very original and bald effort by Armin and Benno. The vocals are good, the lyrics actually say something other than "love this love that". Good. 8/10

06. Armin van Buuren - Old Skool - When I saw the title I expected a real old school trancer. Its not a bad track but I really hate Rap samples. An ok production, albeit not my thing. 6/10

07. Armin van Buuren feat. Jacqueline Govaert - Never Say Never - While the lyrics in this one are cheesy as hell, the cases of lyrics not being cheesy in EDM are minor. Cool production, vocal is ok. Never digged this track as much as some other tracks from Imagine, but its good nonetheless. 7/10

08. Armin van Buuren feat. BullySongs - Caught In A Slipstream - Typical bigroom elements leading to a piano breakdown -> not a good sign. The vocals are totally not my thing. The production reminds me of those usual EDM tracks that sound exactly like one another. The melody isn't terrible but it could have used some more layers to make it richer and more captivating. When the singer starts whinning and the farty pitch comes I understand this track is totally not for me. 4/10

09. Armin van Buuren feat. BullySongs - Freefall - Starts nicer than the previous track, and for some reason the vocals sound more appropriate. This reminds me of a SHM track in the intro, but the main part is totally modern Armin, Another You style. Liked it better than the previous track, but its still what I want from Armin. 6/10

10. Armin van Buuren feat. BT - These Silent Hearts - Always liked this track. I found it weird that BT actually sings instead of doing the actual production with Armin (it doesn't sound like he did anyway). But still, he sings ok, production is cool, somewhat uplifting. 7/10

11. Armin van Buuren feat. Kensington - Heading Up High - Hey, this is totally catchy. The vocals actually blend in well with the summerish production. I agree it sounds totally Avicii but that doesn't bother me here, its too catchy. 8/10

12. Armin van Buuren feat. Cimo Frankel - Strong Ones (Deem Remix) - Original FTW. This one is crap. 2/10

13. FUTURE FAVORITE: Armin van Buuren & Cosmic Gate - Embargo - Ugly, uninspired, boring, bad bad bad. 1.5/10.

14. Armin van Buuren feat. Winter Kills - Take A Moment - Always hated this one. The vocalist bores me, it has no melody, its just...no. 2/10

15. Armin van Buuren feat. Lyrica Anderson - Gotta Be Love - Totally catchy, the production is stunning in my eyes, and if they make a dub mix of this, I WILL buy it. the production is superb. Heck, I might even buy it with the screamy vocals just for the production. The elctro elements totally work here, and its addictive! 8/10 (would be higher without vocals).

16. Armin van Buuren - Orbion - Best track on Mirage and my 2010 TOTY. Not only that, its a candidate for my favorite Armin track ever. 10/10.

17. Armin van Buuren feat. Gabriel & Dresden - Zocalo - One of Armin's most overrated tracks imo. Its ok, but I never loved it, it always kinda bored me. Sorry. 6/10

18. Armin van Buuren feat. Richard Bedford - Love Never Came - Never liked that one. Boring production with boring vocals. 5/10

19. Armin van Buuren feat. Rock Maffia - Hands To Heaven - I am angry at this track, angry at Armin! The breakdown is SOOOO trancey, euphoric, uplifting, could have been a real gem, and then comes the main part which totally ignores what's going on in the breakdown. Unlike Gotta Be Love, the electro elements aren't much fun here. The vocals don't dominate the track, but still, this is wasted potnential. 6/10

20. Armin van Buuren feat. DBX - Indestructible - Is this vocalist trying to sing like Coldplay? He doesn't have Chris Martin's voice but I could swear he was trying sing like him. Again very Avicii/Guetta like track, but again, Armin managed to make it somewhat addictive in the melody. A good remix which reduces the vocals and enhances the good elements could make it much better. 6/10

21. Armin van Buuren - Precious (Mike Saint-Jules Remix) - Cool trancer! 8/10

22. Armin van Buuren feat. Mr. Probz - Another You (Ronski Speed Remix) - Best remix for AY. Thing that bothers me, is that it keeps that uninspired melody from the original and Probz doesn't sound as amazing as he does on his own Waves. I give RS a lot of credit here, he managed to take a rather cheesy, bland original and make it listenable and dare I say, even enjoyable. 7/10

23. Armin van Buuren feat. Eller van Buuren - Coming Home - This was always close to my heart. The guitar, the melody, the uplifting spirit, and I don't know, it seemed at the time like it was a very important track for both Armin and Eller. I agree with Razor that its a bit generic, but it doesn't bother me much because the melody works, and the guitar is a thing of beauty. 8/10

24. Armin van Buuren feat. Aruna - Won't Let You Go - One of Intense's growers for me. I love it, Aruna sounds good, and the production is really decent. 8/10

25. Armin van Buuren - Sail - Undrated trancer without a doubt. Magical piano, the birds flying, truly captures a sea feeling. 9/10

26. Armin van Buuren feat. Racoon - Love You More - Always loved this track, be it the great vocals or the super trancey production, this is Armin van Buuren at his best imo. 9/10

27. Armin van Buuren feat. Justine Suissa - Burned With Desire - Played to death by now, but still a super track, can't deny that. Justine...I miss you. 9/10

28. Armin van Buuren feat. Gavin DeGraw - Looking For Your Name- Usually I find ballads like this cheesy but damn, whoever made this REALLY nailed the paino and the vocalist did a FANTASTIC job. I don't buy the "I tried to make a remix" cause this deffo sounds mixable ala old Oceanlab style or Emery's emotional vocal pop efforts. Too good. 10/10

Insight 1: Armin has stopped working completely with the known trance artists like Ana Criado, Emma Hewitt, Aruna, and the rest.

Insight 2: Looks like Armin is not done competing in a market where others do it harder, better, faster, stronger than he does. 4th on DJ mag and a significant drop in popularity would have me thinking he is dropping a battle he cannot win. He's not selling well on BP, he's not gaining views on Youtube, his trance fans are leaving him, what is he trying to achieve?

Insight 3: After Intense, looks like Armin is finally afraid of 138.
      My Mixcloud Page: mixcloud.com/blachshma/ :music:
      Distant Minds Sessions with my buddy RalfB: mixcloud.com/Distant_Minds/ :drinks:
    • Great review yourself Blach! Had a chuckle at the Emma part, you crazy mofo :haha: Other than that we seem to generally agree on the episode though there are some complete opposites (Embrace vs. Looking For Your Name for instance). I think we also agree that if this album had a lot more Dub-style processed vocals or there were more relevant instrumentals, it would have worked much better. Come to think of it, he didn't drop Off The Hook? Curious... In RTL Late Night it was like he was defending himself for working with Hardwell the way he started talking about the collab. He said something along the lines of "I think he (Hardwell) rocks at what he does and even though I don't like all his tracks I wanted to work with him. We (Armin & Benno) got into the car and drove to his studio. When we got there we had fun and he said that on his own he'd not have done the breakdown the way we did it". So at the one time he justifies the collab, on the other he doesn't premier it in the special? It could mean absolutely nothing of course, perhaps it didn't fit in this flow of the episode but it's got me wondering if somewhere he feels that collab is not as "Special" worthy as his vocal collabs?

blachshma wrote:

Insight 1: Armin has stopped working completely with the known trance artists like Ana Criado, Emma Hewitt, Aruna, and the rest.

I hadn't even noticed this, good observation! Though to be fair, neither the track with Aruna nor the one with Emma did anything for me. In that sense it doesn't matter whether it's Probz, Bullysongs, Aruna or Emma > as long they are all gonna go oversentimental and super poppy, I'll never like it.

blachshma wrote:

Insight 2: Looks like Armin is not done competing in a market where others do it harder, better, faster, stronger than he does. 4th on DJ mag and a significant drop in popularity would have me thinking he is dropping a battle he cannot win. He's not selling well on BP, he's not gaining views on Youtube, his trance fans are leaving him, what is he trying to achieve?

Good question. I am trying to picture being in his position, making music for over 2 decades of which one half was completely Trance-centric and the other half becoming Pop-centric. I guess that for him making a Trance production is just not as much fun as making a pop production. I recall Leon stating that he didn't get the same kick out of making a Trancer anymore because he had already made so many. There was no more challenge for him to write a Trance melody whereas with his Electro/Bigroom House tracks he was trying all sorts of new production techniques and crazy fx which DID give him a kick. I am going to assume Armin is in a similar spot. Perhaps he's even set himself the challenge of creating a Grammy-winning pop song. Armin still wants to play the game at the places "that matter". On the night his son Remy was born, after seeing his son and Erika were okay, he rushed over to Belgium for the closing set at TomorrowWorld because apparently, closing TomorrowWorld is the current highest achievement for a DJ. You'd think he could just close the year after but no. There is probably still unfinished business for Armin. He still has things to prove (which frankly, we can't give a rat's ass about since we care about our scenes and not pop).

blachshma wrote:

Insight 3: After Intense, looks like Armin is finally afraid of 138.

:lol: :haha:

• I honestly don't care that it isn't a Trance album. But even as a Pop album I find it bland. The thing is, this "EDM Vocal style" is probably the worst form of singing in Pop I've ever heard and EVERYTIME I hear this beatless, piano-driven, low acoustic guitar tugging coming in before some annoying male/female voice starts wailing about "needing to party/enjoy this life/not caring about worries/719533139759759th love lyrics", I honestly just want to shoot myself.

Music is supposed to be fun or emotional, or energetic. No matter how you slice it, it's supposed to make you feel good or if you are already feeling good,it's supposed to make you feel better. If you are sad, it's supposed to cheer you up or least comfort you in your struggles. This EDM vocal style that so massively popular around the globe atm SICKENS me. It pisses me of, annoys me and makes me want to plug my ears with soft cotton/wool so I don't have to hear its horrendous nagging anymore.

Those that enjoy it: good for you. But keep it the hell away from me and stop selling it like its innovative because it's a done-and-dusted style with its 832042048 carbon copies coming from the likes of Guetta, Romera, Calvin Harris, Tiesto, Garrix, and now even Armin.

• Razormane wrote:

I honestly don't care that it isn't a Trance album. But even as a Pop album I find it bland. The thing is, this "EDM Vocal style" is probably the worst form of singing in Pop I've ever heard and EVERYTIME I hear this beatless, piano-driven, low acoustic guitar tugging coming in before some annoying male/female voice starts wailing about "needing to party/enjoy this life/not caring about worries/719533139759759th love lyrics", I honestly just want to shoot myself.

Music is supposed to be fun or emotional, or energetic. No matter how you slice it, it's supposed to make you feel good or if you are already feeling good,it's supposed to make you feel better. If you are sad, it's supposed to cheer you up or least comfort you in your struggles. This EDM vocal style that so massively popular around the globe atm SICKENS me. It pisses me of, annoys me and makes me want to plug my ears with soft cotton/wool so I don't have to hear its horrendous nagging anymore.

Those that enjoy it: good for you. But keep it the hell away from me and stop selling it like its innovative because it's a done-and-dusted style with its 832042048 carbon copies coming from the likes of Guetta, Romera, Calvin Harris, Tiesto, Garrix, and now even Armin.
      All true.

The thing with me however is that i never really cared about vocals and stuff (as you said its all same right now) im more the man who concentrating the melodies and the overal vibe. But tbh i also want back at the times before the EDM bullsh*t its all Hardwell/Avicii-like garbage with the same piano breakdown everytime.

Finally its all about the taste, im younger (propably the youngest here with my 19) so thats also maybe influencing in the way i look music.

Lets say we can agree to disagree. :empathy:
      The tracklister, the listener, the critic, the collector and maker of messed up art.

• Gaiaaddict wrote:

All true.

The thing with me however is that i never really cared about vocals and stuff (as you said its all same right now) im more the man who concentrating the melodies and the overal vibe. But tbh i also want back at the times before the EDM bullsh*t its all Hardwell/Avicii-like garbage with the same piano breakdown everytime.

Finally its all about the taste, im younger (propably the youngest here with my 19) so thats also maybe influencing in the way i look music.
      Lets say we can agree to disagree. :empathy:

it's all good Gaia ;) I didn't mean to criticize you or anything, merely want to point out that I don't dislike this album because it's not Trance (since let's face it, a lot of people are shitting on it for not being Trance whilst Armin hasn't exactly been 100% Trance since... 2004? 2005? Even Shivers didn't have that many conventional Trancers): I wanted to make clear I dislike it because it has too many unenjoyable elements for me (which are mostly the vocals, next to the bigroom horn here and there).

There is no accounting for tastes, each to his own etc, etc. :thumbup:

If a track has a vocal that seizes parts of the track, it's impossible for me to "imagine it away". I can't fool myself into not hearing something that I don't want to hear but that is very much there. Say Armin would have released half these tracks as instrumentals, it would still not have been a Mirage beater, but you'd see a lot higher scores from my side. Intense proved to me what Armin's album direction would be so I am not disappointed or anything. I am just giving my opinion and well, it's not a positive one in this case :lol:

You being somewhat younger than most of us currently on this board is not as deciding as the amount of years you've been into this music ;) When Armin released Imagine I had been into Trance for about 4-5 years but at the time I thought it was a very cool album. I was a huge fan of tracks like Never Say Never whereas longer-time Trance/Armin fans were like "meh, Armin is going downhill". In the end they enjoyed his classics, I enjoyed Imagine and now you see some of these Embrace tracks growing on you. Nothing to be ashamed of or needing to defend yourself over ;) Besides, I REALLY dig the title track and bar Roth, the rest here no doubt looks at me like "Are you serious, Mane?" :lol:

What will be interesting for me from here on out is if these tracks get interesting remixes... But it will probably just be the same old same e.g. Rayel, Orjan, Sixma, Dash, A&F, etc.

If you read this Armin, give Old Skool to Sander van Doorn and WSTLNDR. TRUST ME :smoke:

• Well, i already listened to Asot 737, and my comment about 'embrace':
      First, i'm also don't care about stuff, i want to feel the energy, the vibe, in track, e.g the Imagine 'atmosphere', as well cited by Razormane. But, too isn't my style Hardwell/Avicii sound, or whatever, and embrace seems to have parts of this. Btw, i like some tracks in particular, [Embrace; Embargo; Hands to heaven; Oldskool(cool :D )] and others: [Face of summer and Heading up High]. Also waiting something good in a remixes edition.

About this
      Finally its all about the taste, im younger (propably the youngest here with my 19) so thats also maybe influencing in the way i look music;

Nope, you aren't, i'm 18 years old 8-), although i will make 19 in two weeks.
      TUNE OF THE YEAR: Safe Inside You - Armin (Rising Star) ft. Betsie Larkin
      I'm collecting tunes played in Asot, here are the lists: (Finally updated!)
      2015: (Part I) (Part II)|(Still missing some episodes) :pardon:
      2016: Soon

Post was edited 4 times, last by OlacirX ().

• You know, I wonder if the remixers might be completely unexpected? He worked with vocalists most of us never heard of before either, and Strong Ones was already remixed by Deem (who's Deem? xD)... Curious...

OlacirX wrote:

About this
      "Finally its all about the taste, im younger (propably the youngest here with my 19) so thats also maybe influencing in the way i look music."
      Nope, i'm 18 years old 8-), although i will make 19 in two weeks.

Aaaaaaaaaaw... So young, so into Traaaaaaaaaaaance... :smoke:

I hereby dub you both my sons and re-install myself as Papa Razor :sun:

• Razormane wrote:

You know, I wonder if the remixers might be completely unexpected? He worked with vocalists most of us never heard of before either, and Strong Ones was already remixed by Deem (who's Deem? xD)... Curious...

OlacirX wrote:

About this
      "Finally its all about the taste, im younger (propably the youngest here with my 19) so thats also maybe influencing in the way i look music."
      Nope, i'm 18 years old 8-), although i will make 19 in two weeks.

Aaaaaaaaaaw... So young, so into Traaaaaaaaaaaance... :smoke:

I hereby dub you both my sons and re-install myself as Papa Razor :sun:
      :lol:
      The tracklister, the listener, the critic, the collector and maker of messed up art.

• 2015-11-05 ASOT Episode #738

This week music by:
      - Ben Gold
      - Orjan Nilsen
      - Ian Standerwick
      - Matt Fax
      - Tenishia
      - Ruben de Ronde
      - Nanje Nowack
      - Tracks from the Embrace album

Tune in here: di.fm/trance/

Tracklist #738
      01. Orjan Nilsen feat. Mike James - What It's All About
      02. Jochen Miller feat. Simone Nijssen - Slow Down (Vigel Remix)
      03. Chicane - Fibreglasses
      04. Andrew Bayer - Celestial
      05. Arty - Pink Roads (Ronski Speed Reboot)
      06. PROGRESSIVE PICK: Matt Fax - Mirth
      07. Armin van Buuren feat. Rock Mafia - Hands To Heaven
      08. M.I.K.E. Push vs. Rank 1 - Zenith > Left this one out on purpose, Gaia? :joke:
      09. Super8 & Tab - Komorebi
      10. Ost & Meyer with Stan Arwell - Flare
      11. 4 Strings feat. Sue McLaren - Never Ever After
      12. Denis Kenzo feat. Sveta B - Let Me Go
      13. PROFF - Losing My Mind
      14. Armin van Buuren feat. Cimo Frankel - Strong Ones (Deem Remix)
      15. FUTURE FAVORITE: Armin van Buuren feat. Gavin DeGraw - Looking For Your Name
      16. Johnny Yono - The Highways Of Valhalla
      17. Dan Thompson & Mino Safy - A New Leaf
      18. Armin van Buuren & Cosmic Gate - Embargo
      19. Alex Leavon - Mireya
      20. Lange vs. Gareth Emery - Another You, Another Me (Corti Organ Remix)
      21. Tenishia & Ruben De Ronde feat. Nanje Nowack - Where Do We Go (Tenishia Mix)
      22. Mr Pit. vs. Fisherman & Hawkins - Doppelbanger

Post was edited 1 time, last by Razormane ().