Armin van Buuren - EMBRACE [Armada] [2015]

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More details

    • Tracklist revealed:


      01. Embrace
      02. Another You
      03. Strong Ones
      04. Make It Right
      05. Face Of Summer
      06. Heading Up High
      07. Gotta Be Love
      08. Hands To Heaven
      09. Caught In The Slipstream
      10. Embargo
      11. Freefall
      12. Indestructible
      13. Old Skool
      14. Off The Hook
      15. Looking For Your Name

      -- The Anthem 2003 | Opus 17 | L.E.D. There Be Light | 7 Instead Of 8 --
    • djmag.nl/comin/10012015-1034/a…-van-album-embrace-bekend

      Full collab names:
      01 Embrace (feat. Eric Vloeimans)
      02 Another You (feat. Mr. Probz)
      03 Strong Ones (feat. Cimo Fränkel)
      04 Make It Right (feat. Angel Taylor)
      05 Face Of Summer (feat. Sarah Decourcy)
      06 Heading Up High (feat. Kensington)
      07 Gotta Be Love (feat. Lyrica Anderson)
      08 Hands To Heaven (feat. Rock Mafia)
      09 Caught In The Slipstream (feat. BullySongs)
      10 Embargo (with Cosmic Gate)
      11 Freefall (feat. BullySongs)
      12 Indestructible (feat. DBX)
      13 Old Skool
      14 Off The Hook (with Hardwell)
      15 Looking For Your Name (feat. Gavin DeGraw)

      -- The Anthem 2003 | Opus 17 | L.E.D. There Be Light | 7 Instead Of 8 --
    • So I did some research on the names...

      Razormane wrote:

      Full collab names:
      01 Embrace (feat. Eric Vloeimans)
      Dutch trumpettist, I liked the combination in the preview. Should at least be decent.

      03 Strong Ones (feat. Cimo Fränkel)
      Dutch song producer, did some stuff for R&B groups

      04 Make It Right (feat. Angel Taylor)
      Never judge a book by it's cover, but this name predicts this is the cheesiest track them all :stop:

      05 Faec Of Summer (feat. Sarah Decourcy)
      That title, I can already see the rainbows and unicorns. She produced for Brittish girl group Little Mix

      06 Heading Up High (feat. Kensington)
      Kensington is a Dutch rockband, the "band of the moment" so to say. They covered TIWIFL in a radio show, which is probably the reason of this collab. Don't realy know what to expect.

      07 Gotta Be Love (feat. Lyrica Anderson)
      Googled her and she looks like a wannabe-Rihanna. No, merci :stop:

      08 Hands To Heaven (feat. Rock Mafia)
      Appearantly Rock Mafia are a producers duo who've mostly done work for Disney/X-factor'ish stars. Expectations approach zero.

      09 Caught In The Slipstream (feat. BullySongs) & 11 Freefall (feat. BullySongs)
      Songwriter/producer who worked with several EDM artists.

      10 Embargo (with Cosmic Gate)
      German DJ-duo who took their bromance a wee too far.

      12 Indestructible (feat. DBX)
      On wikipedia there are 4 DBX's. One is a British producer who has worked with Armin (and Tiesto) before. Other DBX's are a DJ from a rap/rock band, minimal/techno-artist and a retired heavy metal band.

      13 Old Skool
      As in "old skool Push sound"? GIEF pl0x :sun:

      14 Off The Hook (with Hardwell)
      It seems this guy is hailed as best DJ in the world. Must be an awesome collab then :smoke:

      15 Looking For Your Name (feat. Gavin DeGraw)
      Country-influenced singer/songwriter. Has some decent pop songs, but his most recent ones were quite annoying. Think this will be some sort of Youtopia part 2.
      Tune of May: Stoneface & Terminal - Hypogean :music:
      My latest mix: MixCloud | Hearthis.at :deejay:
    • Gaiaaddict wrote:

      [soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/astateoftrance/armin-van-buuren-feat-eric-vloeimans-embrace-asot733-tune-of-the-week[/soundcloud]

      Better sample of Embrace track. :sun:

      Lemme check & review:

      00:10 - 02:12 > Awesome intro, that trumpet gives a special touch. The mood here reminds me of the Director's Cuts First and Andre made for Widescreen & Cruiser
      02:12 - 03:15 > Highly distorted synth that almost sounds like an electro-guitar, got a bit of Daft Punk-ish feel to it. Didn't remember hearing this in the TW preview so was a bit surprised. Overall would have preferred this part not to have those cliche bigroom sounds
      03:16 - 03:45 > Here it gets very Gaia-ish. I like this part.
      03:46 - 04:13 > Oh wait, so here's where the TW preview begins? o_0 So that whole part I thought to be the breakdown is yet to come?
      04:14 - 05:17 > Eeeeeh, so technically this track builds-up to a build-up which in turn builds-up to the break? I kinda find that flow killing... Prefer the lower tones of the rough bigroom distorto @ 04:43. There is a pulsing kick, panned effect that is a bit similar to Storm - Storm when it builds > love that effect! But again, could have done without all the bigroom cliches...
      05:18 - 06:44 > Lovely breakdown, superb Trumpet!
      06:44 - 07:27 > Very nice synths! Really digging this bit.

      Have to admit after hearing it in full I kinda liked the TomorrowWorld preview better. I can live with those heavily distorted build-ups at 02:12 - 03:15 and 04:13 - 05:17 seperately but not in the same track. The build-up gets stretched unnaturally and to be VERY honest it's not something I'd expect to hear from two professionals/pioneers*. Imo these double build-ups make the track take longer unnaturally and it kills the flow. Would have been better to leave one of both out.

      All in all there are some very nice parts to this track but overall it lacks consistency. Imo it beats Intense & Shivers (always was a hit-and-miss for me) despite its flaws but obviously it doesn't come near Imagine or Prodemium+Precious, let alone Desiderium 207+Mirage. I'll still buy it and hope I'll grow over the double build-up "confusion".

      * I have done this in the past myself: had two sets of sounds I wanted to show off so I put them right after each other and then I discovered my track took too long so I had to sacrifice one of the two sets or merge them so everything flowed naturally.

      -- The Anthem 2003 | Opus 17 | L.E.D. There Be Light | 7 Instead Of 8 --

      Post was edited 1 time, last by Razormane ().

    • Rothma wrote:

      So I did some research on the names...

      Nice research Roth! Going by what your wrote, DBX collab might be interesting if they went a bit "Golddigger" with it. Other than that, I am only interested in Old Skool.

      Just heard Embargo earlier tonight. Didn't move me.

      -- The Anthem 2003 | Opus 17 | L.E.D. There Be Light | 7 Instead Of 8 --
    • Razormane wrote:

      Rothma wrote:

      So I did some research on the names...

      Nice research Roth! Going by what your wrote, DBX collab might be interesting if they went a bit "Golddigger" with it. Other than that, I am only interested in Old Skool.

      Just heard Embargo earlier tonight. Didn't move me.
      The Armin track DBX worked on is none other than This World Is Watching Me (in fact, one half of Kush is 1/3 of DBX):
      discogs.com/Armin-van-Buuren-V…tching-Me/release/1204874

      I was positive that it was a poppy track from Mirage or Intense. My gut feeling was wrong. *expectations rise*
      Tune of May: Stoneface & Terminal - Hypogean :music:
      My latest mix: MixCloud | Hearthis.at :deejay:
    • Rothma wrote:

      The Armin track DBX worked on is none other than This World Is Watching Me (in fact, one half of Kush is 1/3 of DBX):
      discogs.com/Armin-van-Buuren-V…tching-Me/release/1204874

      I was positive that it was a poppy track from Mirage or Intense. My gut feeling was wrong. *expectations rise*

      Ah interesting! Seems that both Sacha Collisson & Pete Kirtley are involved in TWIWM as well as DBX > discogs.com/artist/4151957-DBX-9

      I'd be careful with expectations though. TWIWM had Armin, Benno, Pete, Sacha & Zoe Durrant involved. Though Indestructible features 4 of those 5, Armin & Benno's team-up sounds have changed drastically since then. Not gonna hold my breath for this one. Old Skool is the only track of everything left that has the potential to impress or for which expectations MIGHT not be crushed :jump:

      -- The Anthem 2003 | Opus 17 | L.E.D. There Be Light | 7 Instead Of 8 --
    • About Embrace (title track):

      Thanks for the sample Gaiaaddict. :)

      The Intro is pretty nice but i completely dislike the rest of the track. From 2:12 on it sounds way to bigroomish. The breakdown itself is quite nice with the trumpet but it kicks me out of the track. I have the feeling that i'm in a kind of jazz track and not in a dance track. For me it just does not fit together (unlike Intense where i always have the feeling that i'm in a dance track).

      Imo Armin failed this time with the title track as well as embracing the trumpet. For me it's by far the weakest of all title tracks up to date. It feels like he just wanted to include a trumpet to fit the 'idea' of the album, no matter how the result sounds in the end. The track gives me absolutely nothing. I really liked Intense and i still do (maybe because of the memories of Armin Only & my trip to Amsterdam in 2013), so for me Embrace (title track) <<< Intense (title track). I also prefer violins to trumpets, especially in dance music.

      EDIT: Listened several times to the track while writing this and i have to say that i somehow really starting to hate that track. After several listenings Imo the intro sounds very cheap compared to the other title tracks. :(


      About Embrace (album):

      Thanks Roth for the reseach (never heard a name except Hardwell & Mr. Probz before). I'm suprised that he didn't do a track with Bagga Bownz because it would fit the 'idea' of the album perfectly. Sadly no collab with Aly & Fila or something comparable (which i hoped for). As i expected he did one track to please 'his old fans that follow him since a long time' (or at least the few that left). Also it allows him the usual talking about the 'classic trance sounds on the album' and that 'he never forgets about his roots'. I already can imagine all the interviews a lá 'look at the track Old Skool i did, it has many elements that sound like the tracks i produced 10 years ago...'. He just had to pruduce such a track which is one of the few positive things about the album. :)

      So i dislike everything i heard from the album so far but I'm not disappointed because i expected nothing different. I really hoped for more than one (or maybe two) decent tracks but let's wait for the full album.

      Maybe it's a good sign that everything sounds shitty because that could mean Armin & Benno put all the trance into the Gaia album they wanted to make. You never know.... :D
      ILikeItPure

      Post was edited 1 time, last by Maxim ().

    • Maxim wrote:



      Thanks for the sample Gaiaaddict. :)

      No problem, im gonna use this forum more often to you keep you guys updated in the latest of P&P trancestuff.

      EDIT: Listened several times to the track while writing this and i have to say that i somehow really starting to hate that track. After several listenings Imo the intro sounds very cheap compared to the other title tracks. :(
      Im sorry to hear that man, personally i like this more then Intense, love these kinda rough leads while Intense was a bit too Rayelish to my taste. :pardon:


      I'm suprised that he didn't do a track with Bagga Bownz because it would fit the 'idea' of the album perfectly.
      Kensington is also a rockband from my country :P

      Maybe it's a good sign that everything sounds shitty because that could mean Armin & Benno put all the trance into the Gaia album they wanted to make. You never know.... :D
      Say again
      The tracklister, the listener, the critic, the collector and maker of messed up art.


    • Maxim wrote:

      About Embrace (title track):

      Thanks for the sample Gaiaaddict. :)

      The Intro is pretty nice but i completely dislike the rest of the track. From 2:12 on it sounds way to bigroomish. The breakdown itself is quite nice with the trumpet but it kicks me out of the track. I have the feeling that i'm in a kind of jazz track and not in a dance track. For me it just does not fit together (unlike Intense where i always have the feeling that i'm in a dance track).

      Imo Armin failed this time with the title track as well as embracing the trumpet. For me it's by far the weakest of all title tracks up to date. It feels like he just wanted to include a trumpet to fit the 'idea' of the album, no matter how the result sounds in the end. The track gives me absolutely nothing. I really liked Intense and i still do (maybe because of the memories of Armin Only & my trip to Amsterdam in 2013), so for me Embrace (title track) <<< Intense (title track). I also prefer violins to trumpets, especially in dance music.

      EDIT: Listened several times to the track while writing this and i have to say that i somehow really starting to hate that track. After several listenings Imo the intro sounds very cheap compared to the other title tracks. :(

      You mention quite a lot of things I saw Blach mention as well as to why he REALLY dislikes this track. I can partially understand where you guys are coming from but I also disagree with some bits. For instance, the "Jazzy" feel you guys get out this... When I hear Jazz, I want to snap my fingers and bop my head... I associate this track's melodic bits with something from a fantasy movie, they often have these type of sweeping compositions with a single flute/clarinet/trumpet to guide the crescendos into epicness. In my part-by-part review above I mentioned the Directors Cuts by First & Andre, because those trumpet parts in Embrace remind me of those tracks. They basically took the original Trancers and made them "movie-music" like, they'd have suited something fantasy-based a lot I think. Feel the same about those melodic parts in Embrace.

      I'll agree the Bigroom parts are completely out of place and the fact that there's two of them before the real breakdown is illogical and kills the flow of the track as a whole. That said, for me there is something captivating about Embrace. First tune I put on after getting home from work just now was Embrace. Guess it's a guilty pleasure sort of track for me, a bit like Pulsar was on Intense hehe :gamer:

      You and Blach also seem to be on the same page regarding Embrace vs. Intense (though Blach thinks Intense is less bad than Embrace whereas you dig it). I respectfully disagree however, if this one is all over the place, than in my eyes Intense is no better with its Beautiful violin intro followed by a build-up leading to a Trouse riff which in turns builds to some sort of Daft Punk solo. But that's just my opinion. Always interesting to compare members' visions ;) Looks like I'm on "Team GaiaAddict" for this one :jump:

      Maxim wrote:

      About Embrace (title track):
      About Embrace (album):

      Thanks Roth for the reseach (never heard a name except Hardwell & Mr. Probz before). I'm suprised that he didn't do a track with Bagga Bownz because it would fit the 'idea' of the album perfectly. Sadly no collab with Aly & Fila or something comparable (which i hoped for). As i expected he did one track to please 'his old fans that follow him since a long time' (or at least the few that left). Also it allows him the usual talking about the 'classic trance sounds on the album' and that 'he never forgets about his roots'. I already can imagine all the interviews a lá 'look at the track Old Skool i did, it has many elements that sound like the tracks i produced 10 years ago...'. He just had to pruduce such a track which is one of the few positive things about the album. :)

      Basically his anti-Purist defense :lol:

      Maxim wrote:

      About Embrace (title track):
      So i dislike everything i heard from the album so far but I'm not disappointed because i expected nothing different. I really hoped for more than one (or maybe two) decent tracks but let's wait for the full album.

      Sounds familiar for a lot of us I think ;) Do have to say it's a pity this album will most likely be a mix-mash of stuff most of us dislike. If things had been different, you'd not have changed your name to Maxim but to "76Shiimiinem" :joke:

      Maxim wrote:

      About Embrace (title track):
      Maybe it's a good sign that everything sounds shitty because that could mean Armin & Benno put all the trance into the Gaia album they wanted to make. You never know.... :D

      Tbh, the longer that album takes to arrive, the more I feel it will drift away from what one could expect from Gaia. If you ask me, they should have done it in 2011-2013, doing one now or next year will probably just mean a very Bigroom-oriented, 5-minutes-per-new-Gaia-max lp... Did you check out In Principio & Carnation Maxim? Because that's the sound the current Gaia has. Personally I feel IP is solid albeit too short and the final execution was didn't deliver on the promise of the Ultra 2014 promo but Carnation... The build-up in Carnation is not much different from the one in Embrace imo. And the main lead is very Empire Of Hearts-ish.

      I am not too confident that Gaia album will be radically different from Armin's bigroom oriented club tracks with dramatic melodies (like Together for instance). But let's wait how that turns out first before we jump to conclusions.

      -- The Anthem 2003 | Opus 17 | L.E.D. There Be Light | 7 Instead Of 8 --

      Post was edited 1 time, last by Razormane ().

    • Razormane wrote:

      For instance, the "Jazzy" feel you guys get out this... When I hear Jazz, I want to snap my fingers and bop my head... I associate this track's melodic bits with something from a fantasy movie, they often have these type of sweeping compositions with a single flute/clarinet/trumpet to guide the crescendos into epicness. In my part-by-part review above I mentioned the Directors Cuts by First & Andre, because those trumpet parts in Embrace remind me of those tracks. They basically took the original Trancers and made them "movie-music" like, they'd have suited something fantasy-based a lot I think. Feel the same about those melodic parts in Embrace.

      Yeah of course it's not Jazz but that was my first impression (even if i never listened to real Jazz). Absolutely love that Directors Cut (even got that on vinyl as you might know ;) ) but Embrace didn't remind me of it when listening to it (not because they sound completely different but because Widescreen really touches me and Embrace gives me nothing....)

      Razormane wrote:

      Basically his anti-Purist defense :lol:

      Sure, but one good track is still one good track (of course it's no excuse to the rest of the album & calling those other tracks trance). :)

      Razormane wrote:

      If things had been different, you'd not have changed your name to Maxim but to "76Shiimiinem" :joke:

      You got the point haha :) (in 10 years with 5 more armin albums the name would have got to long and even more unspellable anyway)

      Razormane wrote:

      Tbh, the longer that album takes to arrive, the more I feel it will drift away from what one could expect from Gaia. If you ask me, they should have done it in 2011-2013, doing one now or next year will probably just mean a very Bigroom-oriented, 5-minutes-per-new-Gaia-max lp... Did you check out In Principio & Carnation Maxim? Because that's the sound the current Gaia has. Personally I feel IP is solid albeit too short and the final execution was didn't deliver on the promise of the Ultra 2014 promo but Carnation... The build-up in Carnation is not much different from the one in Embrace imo. And the main lead is very Empire Of Hearts-ish.

      I am not too confident that Gaia album will be radically different from Armin's bigroom oriented club tracks with dramatic melodies (like Together for instance). But let's wait how that turns out first before we jump to conclusions.

      Agree with you here. Yeah checked out those tunes you mentioned when they were released and i didn't like the sound (like you metioned IP sounds some sort of mainstreamized compared to the Ultra Version). Since Empire of Hearts Gaia has not the positive meaning to me like it had before. Nevertheless i would be really glad about a Gaia album.
      ILikeItPure

      Post was edited 1 time, last by Maxim ().

    • Maxim wrote:


      Yeah of course it's not Jazz but that was my first impression (even if i never listened to real Jazz). Absolutely love that Directors Cut (even got that on vinyl as you might know ;) ) but Embrace didn't remind me of it when listening to it (not because they sound completely different but because Widescreen really touches me and Embrace gives me nothing....)

      Fair enough. ;) Widescreen, both original and Director's Cut are phenomenal really... Airbase & bro NAILED it with that beauty :sun: Obviously Embrace doesn't come near it, even if it didn't have those noisy parts. But it's strange, somehow I can really forgive all that noise and somehow that trumpet really gets me in a good way. So kudos to Armin & Benno for that.

      Maxim wrote:


      Sure, but one good track is still one good track (of course it's no excuse to the rest of the album & calling those other tracks trance). :)

      Oh don't get me wrong! I am looking forward to Old Skool as much as you... Which is odd isn't it? Consider that after all these years not feeling Armin, there seems to be a small crumb of fanboy left that rears its head as soon as he sees a title like "Old Skool". But anyway, my pursist-defense comment was based on the thought that it would be funny if this turns into a "veterans'" fave so that Armin can always point to it when being criticized for not being Trance (enough), until his next album at least :lol:

      Maxim wrote:


      You got the point haha :) (in 10 years with 5 more armin albums the name would have got to long and even more unspellable anyway)

      *considers 10 Years From Now pun* Nah, can't come up with one xD

      Maxim wrote:


      Agree with you here. Yeah checked out those tunes you mentioned when they were released and i didn't like the sound (like you metioned IP sounds some sort of mainstreamized compared to the Ultra Version). Since Empire of Hearts Gaia has not the positive meaning to me like it had before. Nevertheless i would be really glad about a Gaia album.

      In Principio had the potential to come CLOSE to S.E.D. (imo) if they had kept that deep/dark approach from Ultra and further enhanced it. Sadly, they made it bouncier and bigroom-friendlier. And oh yeah, they made it waaaaaaaaaay too short. So close though... ;(

      We'll see. A Gaia album would be better than an Armin album at default because it wouldn't centre on pop vocals. So it has potential...

      -- The Anthem 2003 | Opus 17 | L.E.D. There Be Light | 7 Instead Of 8 --
    • Listened to Strong Ones yesterday. I have to say the vocal itself isn't that bad, under certain types of productions I think it would be an ace fit. The lead of the track is also not as cheesy or annoying as Another You or mediocre like TIWIFL. Of the three, this one is the most likeable but even so... This is just not my type of Dance music, neither is this my type of pop music. Bar the synths used in the lead, there is so little in it that sounds like "Armin" to me. And I HATE that these pop dance tunes always need to have this beatless part to introduce the vocals, often backed by an acoustic guitar, only to go noise-synth on your ass afterward. Granted, SO has a lead that doesn't assault your ears but even so it's hardly something I feel like hearing a lot either...

      Just give me Embrace instead. Yes it has noisy bigroom parts, yes it's built on the Gaia-cliches but damnit, the last time I replayed and enjoyed an Armin track as often as I've been replaying and enjoying Embrace was ages ago. Am a minority when it comes to that trumpet but imo it's the very Soul of that track. For me this title track by far surpasses the other four (4th being Embargo, assuming that Youtube vid was correct) tunes I've heard. Strong Ones is decent at best but overall not my cup of coffee and as such, pretty forgettable.

      Now let's just get this over with and reveal "Old Skool"... Unless he went SIY with that one, it has the potential to be awesome. Gief. :sun:

      -- The Anthem 2003 | Opus 17 | L.E.D. There Be Light | 7 Instead Of 8 --
    • Electronic pop music vocal = Yuch. The Electro-but-also-hearable-in-Dubstep fx sound like something CG would do (in fact, I thought they did so in Yai). The piano-breakdown + lead sounds CG oriented as well although the synths are obviously not techy/noisy. Overall I don't hear anything remotely Humming The Lights in this, Gaia...

      Must say the production itself isn't horrible. That lead is nice, the Electro elements don't dominate but much like Strong Ones, the cheesy EPM vocal completely ruins any replay value in this track for me. There is no need for it imo, let alone a second breakdown with moar cheesy pop vox :P

      Five tracks have now been revealed but the title track still beats the crap out of everything imo. This one and Strong Ones are on par which is half a compliment I suppose, since both are decent in comparison to AY & OTH. If Armin makes vocal-less extended club mixes for both, I might give them a shot. Have to say I am a bit surprised though, both SO & HTH aren't as Trousey/PHJUR EDM as I expected. That doesn't make them masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination but compared to Intense' vocal tracks (bar Love Never Came), these two on Embrace sound better.

      Still no revealing of Old Skool. I guess that will happen next week with an Embrace-Special-meaning-Armin-Only episode next week?

      -- The Anthem 2003 | Opus 17 | L.E.D. There Be Light | 7 Instead Of 8 --